Para-pa-pa-pa, I'm lovin' it??!!

on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This "M" symbol could be found in almost every country ALL AROUND THE WORLD. McDonnald's Corporation, a.k.a McD, is one of the world's LARGEST fast food chain restaurant. Statistic shows, McD serves up 47 millions of customers EACH DAY!

So why am I writing about it? Of course, "I'm lovin' it" too! Ever since I entered college life, I have my meals at McD at least once a week
, which is pretty frequent for a Malaysian. And since I have McD meals more than a normal Malaysian, I need to dig out more about the ingredients and stuff in the food itself. I dowanna die one day due to too much McD food intake.
My all-time-favourite burger of McD is BIG MAC. Instead of crapping about the grandmother history of McD, I'm gonna share with you guys what I've discovered about Big Mac.

From the ingredients list, Big Mac is made up of 100% Beef Patty, Big Mac Bun, Pasteurized Process American Cheese, Big Mac Sauce, Lettuce, Pickle Slices, Onions. I think this is a PERFECT combination because I get to eat my Beef with cheese and lettuce.and all. Besides, I think it pretty much 7 classes of nutrients we need each day. Yet, people say having too much fast food is bad. I don't get it. So, here I go again. GOOGLE!!!

So what's the big deal having fast food? After searching about the nutrient facts about fast food, although there's veggies and stuff in a burger, however, there contains many bad fats and other thing that are bad to our health. Namely, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium(excess) and too much carbs.
Trans fat is the common name for a type of unsaturated fat with trans-isomer fatty acid. It is different from other dietary fats because it is not essential to the body. Two common trans fats are oleic acid and elaidic acid(unsaturated fatty acids) with the chemical formula C9H17C9H17O2. Consuming trans fats increases one's risk of coronary heart disease. It raises the levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol. Besides just coronary risks, trans fat will also cause diseases such as diabetes, cancers, OBESITY(the key to all sorts of diseases)......

Cholesterol is a lipidic, waxy steroid found in the cell membranes and transported in the blood plasma of all animals. Although it is important to maintain the permeability of cell membranes, if there's excess cholesterol in blood circulation will also cause heart diseases.

As we can see, having too much fast food often puts us at the risk of developing heart diseases because too much sodium intake will also cause heart diseases by affecting our blood pressure which indirectly affects our heart. Yet, the amount of sodium in ONE meal of McD set is about 2-3times our daily need. Its just plain insane when I come to realize all these. But what can I do? Stop eating??!! NO WAY!! Maybe I'll just reduce my fast food intake and have more veggie, fruits, whole grain food and legumes which will help to break down the cholesterol in our body and will lower the LDL-cholesterol level, especially at the liver.

Guess I really have to gain more self-control or else I will be one of the millions people who dies of heart disease, the world leading cause of death. Those fats do not just give me fat physically, it also affect me mentally and physiologically as they will form plaques in our vessels. I don't wish to be an obese who died of FAT!!!!

People, have a lil health concious. Maybe do more exercise will help because it keeps our heart muscles and all to work to burn the fats. Yet, self control is more important to a healthier lifestyle. Good luck choosing what to eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment